Monday, July 24, 2017

Why i am traveling.

Ok, to be completely honest, I’m traveling because I live with my mom and she travels. So really, I’m just along for the ride.

But, in 2013 my family and I took our old 2001 rv and headed off to Louisiana. We purchased a new rv, and decided to drive up the west coast. We took 9 months and explored the entire west coast, it was amazing.

And that was all it took, we were hooked. We stayed at our home in Texas for a year, debating if we should travel full time or not, and spending time with family.

In the spring of 2015, my mom told us we were going to full time. We spent a week selling everything from our very large house. A lifetime full of useless things piled up. I went from having my own walk in closet, to having just a single shelf. It was scary at first, seeing all these things you’ve grown used to, being thrown away or given to other people. And honestly, I found myself asking “am I crazy for doing this?” More than once. But when it got right down to it those things were just that, things. And as we found out, there are a lot of things you don’t need in your life, but that’s for another post.

So in 2015 we took off to Alaska  my family and I and this time my grandma and aunt came along too. It was a blast,  we had so much fun and I saw so many things I never even dreamed of being able to see. but again, that’s for another post.

After Alaska, just last year, we traveled up the east coast all the way to newfoundland!
So you might think my mom is crazy for selling our house, you might think I’m crazy for going along with it, but honestly, what’s crazy is staying in the same town your whole life collecting “stuff”.
Sure living in a rv has its hard spots like living in a small space, not having much stuff, being away from your hometown, repairs, long days stuck inside, did I mention being stuck in a small space with your siblings? But the pros seem to outweigh the cons.

We left behind paying for property tax, electric bills and water bills (much cheaper for rv hookups) mowing the lawn, landscaping, spending hours cleaning our house, (can clean the whole rv in under a hour it’s awesome)all the useless junk, all the fake friends, the desire to “fit in”. and I’ve found that without the pressure to be “normal” and own “stuff” life is a heck of a lot easier.

My family ditched the rat race. We left behind ordinary and found extraordinary.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog post. How unique it is to discover there's a lot to see out there at such a young age. I hope you will keep blogging and sharing your travel adventures with the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete